Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Pre-Day 4: In-tim-i-day-shun!

First of all, I am really happy to report that it's middle of day 2 on the new BCPs and all is well on Trivora. Lesson learned: when it comes to endocrinology, do not underestimate the power of hormones on the brain. I always knew my occasional crabbiness or weepiness from PMS (ie: changing hormones) was real and that chemical imbalance have mental results, but this really brought into focus for me.

The effect that chemistry can have on our brains is really fascinating. It's so hard to measure quantitatively how someone "feels." I am the only one who can measure that for me. I hereby vow to always take care of myself and stick up for my needs when it comes to any depression issues that could even possibly be hormone or chemical-related.

And suddenly... an intimidating knock at the door. Well, the knock wasn't indimidating... but then I saw the box...



Hmm. Kinda big. Wonder what-all's in there?



Oh sweet jesus. That sharp disposal can mean only one thing... that's a bag of syringes.



And a pen-injection delivery system (there's only one sharp disposal container, somehow made it into 2 photos)



And here's the stuff I will be injecting. Gulp. Follistim (FSH) - for stimulating follicles (duh) - that's the stuff that goes in the pen-injectors. This came with a cold pack and must be kept refrigerated...



This is Repronex, combo of FSH and LH, promotes growth and stimulation of those follies...



This is Ganerilix (Antagon), a gonadatrophin-releasing hormone which supresses the LH surge and prevents ovulation...



This is Luveris which is LH - the hormone that triggers ovulation (used in combo with the Ganerilix above)...



These are Vivelle "Dot" - estrogen patches...



There was also a dose of Novarel (HCG) in there, that you use just before retrieval. But I forgot to take a photo of it.

And this is a bunch of extra non-intimidating stuff, like pre-natal vitamins, folic acid, baby aspirin, fatty-acid blend, progesterone inserts and some antibiotics for retrieval day....



I hope that by showing all this stuff, some woman out there who is newly going through this process will be just slightly less blown away by the amount of medication that's involved. It's pretty intense, even for a (lay) person who's interested in the details. (I'm sure all you super-women out there who have gone through multiple IUIs and IVFs are knowingly chuckling right now.)

This might be a good time to note that I could be wrong about anything I write in this blog, so never use anything I publish as advice or instruction or anything other than lightly-researched entertainment, communal support, and one person's experience. Your FE might do IVF with somewhat different drugs in different combos, this is just how it's been prescribed for me.

AARRRRHHHHHHHHHGGGGG! Ok. Whew. I'm ok. Just a bit scared. Trying to act totally brave but this is fucking nuts. I'm not really nervous about the injection process (maybe a little)... I'm more scared about all these medications and what they'll do. The lists of side-effects are not small. Focus on end result.

7 comments:

charlie's mom said...

I totally freaked out with my first box o' drugs. Don't worry- it's not that bad.

YouGuysKnow said...

thanks FQ :) just figuring out what all of it was helped me get ahold of myself a bit. and it also helps to hear someone say "it's not that bad"! Thanks for being my 1st commenter.

Jo said...

OOO Lots of stuff! What is the Luveris for? I have not heard of that drug..I know the Novarel (HCG) is what you use 36 hours before retrival and that does the final maturation and will trigger ovulation.
Just like FQ said, it really isn't THAT bad once you get started. I think that the PIO shots were the worst. The needles looked HUGH to me. What protocol are you on may I ask?

YouGuysKnow said...

hi Jo - gosh, everytime someone says "it's not THAT bad" I feel SOOOOO much better ;) I don't actually start injecting until around April 3, and the stuff got delivered so early - so it's torturing me just sitting there.

ok, i don't know EXACTLY what the Luveris is for, but I can tell you that i'll be injecting it on the same 4 days that I do the Ganirelix (during the latter half of the stim phase) with the HcG happening on the last day of those.

I don't know all the acronyms yet ... what is PIO?

As for the protocol question - I don't know! I have not been told that I am on a particular protocol. (I'm sure I am but don't know what it is.) But mind you, I have not had my "injection lesson" yet. That happens on April 3 along with the first injections. So I assume I will be learning a LOT more at that point.

Thanks for stopping by :) look forward to chatting with you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. I just wanted to say "hello" and to wish you the best of luck with this IVF cycle.

Anonymous said...

PIO is Progesterone in Oil... a thick viscous liquid that is injected intramuscularly... usually deep into the buttocks. One of the nastier shots I understand... I've managed to avoid it thus far.

And yah... you know what... a couple days into it... this is going to seem old hat!

I remember... just before my first cycle I went over to one of the ivf support group chat room thingies... I just about DIED... I had NO idea what everyone was talking about and it scared the CRAP out of me. Unfortunately... much later... I only know TOOOO well all the lingo and treatment protocols.

Yours DOES seem rather drug intensive though... I've never seen anyone else with this particular combination. Luveris, by the way, is straight LH.

YouGuysKnow said...

manuela
ah! thanks for the PIO acronym schoolin' :) I know that i'll be on natural progest. vaginal suppositories so I think I get to avoid that one. yeah, i gots lots of drugs. soon i will post about my protocol when i have had my injection lesson and am totally straight on what happens when. more soon.