Saturday, March 11, 2006

Pre-Day 1: We've Begun

The weirdest thing is that the beginning of the process involves going on the pill! That's right. I am on BCPs to "quiet down" my reproductive system and also so we can schedule nicely with our FE - fair enough. I am to be on the pill for 19 days (I am told you can go on them anywhere from 10-28 days), taking prenatal vitamins, folic acid, baby aspirin and fatty acids according to FE's script.

Today I had my first intra-vaginal ultrasound for IVF purposes. The count was 6 follies on one side and 7 on the other. Not too bad of an antral follicle count for a 36 year old. I hope they all (and then some) mature as prompted and contain good eggs.

This week, Hubs will get his STD panel done - I've had mine - as is necessary under law in this state.

Things I am thinking about:

Doing extra acupuncture around IVF. I was already doing some and enjoying it. There is some evidence out there that patients who received acupuncture just before and just after embie replacement achieved better pregnancy rates than those that didn't do acupuncture.

I found this Reuter's Health story on a University of Washington study regarding how many embies to replace. I am really wondering what to do regarding this issue. I would really like to have one baby at a time. But I also don't want to go through 5 IVF cycles trying to do it. Hmmm...

No comments: